Thursday, August 14, 2008

August 14th discussion item

Time for another odd one, just to give some folks a break from hearing nothing but war-death-pathos-fear topics.

(No, Ethos, Pathos and Logos were *not* the original Three Musketeers, thank you.)

Today's is a bit lighter:

[For this discussion, presume Schools teach enough Math, General Science, Primary Language, and college-entrance preparatory material.]
Given the choice of mandating five hours a week of a High School curriculum, would you choose to require...

*Second Language Training, specified. no choice which -- one example is here in Japan, where English is a "must-take" class in addition to kokugo (National Language), but no standard curriculum offers German, Russian, Korean, or anything else.

*Civics. -- comparative systems of government, detailed history of that country's constitutional system, rights vs. privledges, with lots and lots of community and regional involvement exercises.

*Religious Dogma and Law, again, specified. no choice which -- any "there is only one true word of (insert Deity name here), and this is it" religion would suit.

*Fashion Sense and Grooming. -- clearly, the only way to overcome the unwashed masses is to reform them through education.

*none of the above -- ok smarty, pick something else. But only one, and as for the others, try to justify it.

Have at it!

13 comments:

Mr. Bill said...

I'd chose second language training. I know that the language training itself does not necessarily expose students to different cultures & ideas, but giving students the toolset to communicate outside of their home communities gives them versatility and mobility.

I'll probably have more to say after I've slept a while.

Marie said...

I'd choose all of the alternatives, but emphasize the national language, in this case English. I often cringe when I hear how it is massacred, and not just by youth!

Karl Reisman said...

Depends on which country you are talking about. If it's a foreign country, they should learn English,If it's us. Civic, I'm tired of folks getting the basics of politics wrong.

Though music and art classes should be available.

Scott

Marie said...

Karl/Scott: I'm talking about the USA and many really do murder the English language. Civics... I'm all for it and there was a time when a second language was required. I remember we had all of the above, including music, religion and much more as required courses, and we weren't overloaded.

Purr said...

definitely civics---

I had just mentioned to Marie a few days ago, the curriculum in high schools should have more emphasis on World History-

I just realized on August 21st, 1968, when Moscow invaded Czech, it was on my birthday!

and knowing a second language is not a bad thing either-

Music-- I made a terrible soprano! I tried!

Purr said...

I think I need to take fashion and grooming-- as I don't care anymore what I wear or look like!

Karl Reisman said...

Okay Well I HAd to take Spanish, Some time when I went to Foothill College was ahbout the time the language requirement could be satisfied with a "computer language".

Scott

Purr said...

I like the-- religious, dogma, and law one too!

keep studying español Karl aka Scott--

last night, on the tele, the stats are for here- US- 2048- the hispanic population will make up 30% of the population--

And here on the blog, I am getting somewhat of a civics class!

Purr said...

I was just looking at the spanish words taken from the Arabic language-(Moorish invasion adding to the Spanish language)

and how many words in English were taken from the Arabic language--

Dang LDG-- LOOK what you have me doing now!!!

Purr said...

I have another class-- Etymology--

Purr said...

take for example-- you used ethos--
(In a classroom it could be taught like this)

Etymology: From Greek ἦθος.

Noun- ethos

Plural-ethe or ethea

The character or fundamental values of a person, people, culture, or movement.

Karl Reisman said...

Actually I'd rather learn the language of someplace with a future. like maybe Korean or Chinese. Probably Korean... (im my copious spare time).

maxkon88 said...

Fitness and nutrition classes.