Friday, June 19, 2009

UVF begins decommissioning arsenal

It has been a long time coming... that the loyalist paramilitary Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) would join the Ulster Defense Force and the Red Hand Commando in being willing to match the Provisional Irish Republican Army (Provos; commonly mis-identified in the media as the "IRA") in decommissioning their weapons. "Decommissioning" being a nice way of saying disabling or destroying them. Well, that day has finally come.

Bravo to Northern Ireland Secretary Shaun Woodward for extending the decommissioning deadline until the end of this month. The gamble paid off.

***

Archival information on the Provos decommissioning can be read in detail *here* (.pdf file) in the report of the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning, last year.

3 comments:

Purr said...

this one is going to take some serious reading-- notice I have skirted around this one--

I must go do my food prep thing now--however, I will be back on here my evening--I forgot how fun your blog is as well informed- thank you and may you rest well, my dear friend!!!

Purr said...

i think I need some background for this issue--

L.Douglas Garrett said...

@Susan

ok... how much do you know of the Northern Ireland "Troubles" (1970's~1990's in particular)?